Sunday, June 29, 2008

So what does Goa mean to you?


So you are a Goan? So who are you? And what does Goa really mean to you? A place where you were born? Just another beautiful beach? The place that exports the famous Goan pork sausages?

I get intrigued by some of the comments I hear from some of the Goans out here (or so they claim). That's what motivated me to start this blog. A place for all Niz Goenkars to meet up, discuss everything Goan and generally experience a state of mind called Goa. Welcome.

So what does Goa really mean to you? Let me have your comments.

In case you are not familiar with posting comments here, please email your comments at goanviews@gmail.com clearly mentioning your name and location


Goa will always be the place I belong. Even though I now live so far away, I know I will return. Even though we live here, everything in our house is as Goan as it gets. I know I will return. Goa then is my destiny.

Recieved via email: Mrs. Violet Dias, Toronto 30th June 2008

4 comments:

A N Diniz said...

I am a Goan, born in Goa, studied in Goa, got my first job in Goa. All this time Goa was beautiful, safe, clean and with excellent communal harmony.
However over the years things in Goa have gradually changed, from bad to worse. Greed, glut and dishonesty have consumed Goans and neo Goans. In short Goa has been plagued by rampant corruption, crime, concretisation & unprecedented communalism. Our politicians and their stooges are having a field day. They are prospering amidst the chaos and confusion prevailing in Goa. Their idea of development is so lopsided and self , that they are ready to go to any length to achieve their goals and positions of power. Today politics in Goa is dominated by muscle and money power and Goans are just are either onlookers or abettors.
However it looks like there is still a dim light at the end of the tunnel. Realising the situation that is prevailing is on account of their own actions or inactions and that we are fast loosing to the migrants, real estate sharks, builders and corrupt politicians. Goans are slowly waking up to the reality, that they will be soon reduced to minority, and with no land left to their future generations if no appropriate and urgent measures are taken to remedy the situation. Any way it is better late than never!!

Antonio Diniz
Fatorda, Goa
xorvanoa

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Was surprised to read about this blog. Good start and thank you for it.

Goa for me is paradise. I feel at peace amidst all this chaos. I know lots of things have deteriorated but I will always be hopeful

Vivek

A N Diniz said...

Hi anonymous,
I returned to Goa after spending 28 years abroad also presuming that Goa was indeed a "paradise". Everyone dreams to live in a a paradie but after 3 years of my stay in Goa I am disappointed specially with the level of corruption, lack of civic sense and amount of garbage that is getting accumulated everywhere. The said part is that no solution seems to be forthcoming to these endemic problems. Only promises.
Anyway let's hope that Goa will some turn into a "paradise" again!!
A N Diniz

Goa said...

you got to read my posts jose. Goa and the niz goencar is a legacy we need to sustain

http://www.goacom.blogspot.com/